View Pat O'Bannon's Tuckahoe Town Meetings on Line:

 Go to and search for: Henrico County Government & Tuckahoe Town Meeting


It's an APP!

I saw that many people wanted to pay their county bills online, as well as wanted to quickly access county services.

I said, “People live on their iphones! Henrico needs an APP!”

I worked with the County Manager, Public Relations and Information Technology folks who developed Henrico’s APP for public use. Residents can download it free, from the APP store – for either iPhone or Android. Special note: The APP was developed entirely in-house, so the development cost was minimal. Great job, IT Department! That’s “The Henrico Way!”

The Henrico County APP makes it easy to engage with and get information about Henrico's government. You can check upcoming events and recent news, receive important notices, find information on parks and government locations, and contact departments and agencies. The mobile app is available for both Android and IOS devices, at the Apple App and Google Play stores. Learn more here - Information also is available at


O'Bannon wins "Brilliant Idea" award from the National Association of Counties

          The National Association of Counties (NACo) recently announced that Henrico County earned 28 Achievement Awards for innovative programs, and NACo also recognized two programs in NACo's new category, 100 Brilliant Ideas at Work. Henrico County won the most awards of any county in Virginia for the 12th consecutive year and the seventh-most nationally.

          The County Manager's Office received an Achievement Award and one 100 Brilliant Ideas at Work honor for an initiative to offer Virtual Town Hall Meetings. The effort, lead by Board of Supervisors Chairman Patricia O'Bannon, Tuckahoe Magisterial District, allows residents to watch and to participate in public meetings via a live stream over the Internet that includes a method for home-viewers to ask questions, live.

          As Pat O'Bannon said, "Residents can stay at home in their pajamas, watch the Town Hall Meeting, and participate through emails -- to have their questions answered. This makes it extra easy to participate in the Civic process. Residents don't even need to drive to the site of the meeting to talk with their elected representative."

          O'Bannon added: "Yes, it was my idea. However, the Manager's Office IT specialist, Cari Tretina, made it happen. Ms. Tretina worked hard to establish and coordinate the telecommunications needed -- and we did it all for virtually no added costs, with programs that are readily available through YouTube and Google. Any county and any organization can replicate this with an Internet connection and a computer with a camera. That's why it was considered 'brilliant'."

          For more information about Virtual Town Hall Meetings, call (804) 501-4208.


How to file a complaint to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)

about dropped phone calls

Over the past four years, there have been complaints from residents who live in the River Road corridor concerning dropped calls on standard, wired AND wireless phones. Cell phone users should contact the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), since more than one company is dropping calls. Verizon seemed to be the biggest "dropper". The Federal Communications Commission has received sufficient complaints at this time to make a response.

Verizon says : "If your cell service is unreliable, dial *611 from your cell phone and make a complaint. If you cannot make a call from your cell phone, dial 1-800-922-0204 from another phone."

I have made complaints to the FCC for the community. The first question asked by the FCC is : "What are the other numbers and have they filed a complaint?" In order to get action, INDIVIDUALS must file a complaint with the FCC. To file a complaint:


Opt-in to Henrico's Community Emergency Notification System

What is the Henrico County Community Emergency Notification System? This system is one of many tools that Henrico County Public Safety officials use to notify you of critical information from evacuation notices to missing child alerts. Henrico County is using the CodeRED high-speed notification solution. This system provides Henrico County public safety officials the ability to quickly deliver messages both to targeted areas of the County and/or to the entire county.

How do I sign up?  Visit and complete the online registration form.  This portal will register your home phone number, mobile devices (cell phones, text devices), and your work phone number (should you choose to add that information) on the system. It does not matter where you reside for text-messages.  It is open to anyone who would like to register, regardless of residency.  There is no cost to you from Henrico County for the system, but your cell provider may charge you for text messages.  Once you register, you can test your email and cell phone in the system to make sure your information is working, or you can contact Henrico's Office of Emergency Management at 501-7183 or email for assistance.

I have some other questions.  Where can I get information? Henrico invites you to visit the Division of Fire’s web page at  for more information on the system.  You will see the icon for CodeRED on the right side of the page. Or, you can call Henrico's Office of Emergency Management at 804-501-7183 or email for more information.


Want to know MORE about the Opioid epidemic, and

How to Talk to your Children?

Operation Prevention ( - partnership between the DEA and Discovery Education. It's an educational program for middle and high school classrooms that aims to educate students, using science, about the impact of drugs.

Get Smart About Drugs (parental resource) - (

Get the Facts About Drugs (youth resource) - (

Drug Abuse Resistance Education program. (

Partnership at Drug Free ( - provides information for parents on teen prescription drug abuse

And of course, the DEA's website is a good resource as well -


Your Homeowner's Insurance Rate may have decreased!

Check with your Insurance Agent

Henrico Earns Highest Fire Protection Rating from Insurance Services Office (ISO)

     Henrico County participated in a fire protection classification survey conducted by the Insurance Services Office (ISO). ISO is a private corporation that evaluates public fire protection, water supply, 911 communications, and the adoption of building codes in communities. They provide the information to insurance companies that use the data to establish property insurance premiums.

     Due to Henrico's work and investments in recent years, the county's rating has improved. It is now the best rating available nationally. Of the 47,000 communities evaluated in the USA, only 97 have received this rating. Others in Virginia are Fairfax County, Roanoke City and the City of Charlottesville. Henrico County is the only county in the nation with both an accredited fire department and a Class 1 ISO rating.

     This rating may result in decreased insurance premiums for residential and business property owners. In order for current residents and business owners to take advantage of this rating change, you should contact your insurance carrier.

      Henrico residents voted "yes" to the 2005 Bond Referendum in order to build more fire stations. This vote made a major difference in the response time for Fire and Emergency Medical Services. Residents' vote on the Bond Referendum helped reduce their insurance rate.


                       Frequently Asked Questions


 Henrico is a premier destination for sports, leisure and

historic travel.

Visit the web site:
Henrico Tourism logoHenrico Tourism logo


Disabled Veterans can apply for real estate tax exemption

                Henrico County is urging disabled veterans who own their principal residence in the county to apply for recently implemented real estate tax exemption. Virginia voters adopted a constitutional amendment in the general election directing the General Assembly to provide a tax exemption for a retired service person with 100 percent service-related, permanent and total disability, as determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. 

                The exemption applies to: principal residence and up to 10 acres; veteran or surviving spouse (if the veteran's death occurs on or after Jan. 1, 2011); and does not require re-filing each year.

                Unlike Henrico's Real Estate Advantage Program (REAP), there are no income or financial requirements for disabled veterans seeking the tax exemption. In addition, there is no cap on the amount of relief you will receive.

                For more information, contact Henrico's Revenue Division at 501-4263, or log onto

This Web site is not paid for by Henrico County.
It is paid for, authorized by and maintained by Patricia S. "Pat" O'Bannon for Supervisor
Content copyright 2020. All rights reserved.